As in the season has officially...
The meeting last night was amazing - this organization does not mess around! Arriving at the hotel that was hosting, there were volunteers outside with Team in Training signs pointing us to the appropriate venue. Once inside, big signage directed you to where you pick up your paperwork and you are assigned a color based on which team you are on (tri, cycling, marathon). The tri team was purple. You get a green piece of paper with a picture of a t-shirt on it, which you turn in at the next station to claim your Team in Training... well, training t-shirt. Then, it's into the large ballroom with rows upon rows of chairs. However would one find where to sit?
The colored balloons tied to the chairs, of course! Rows of purple balloons = tri team. I saw Cara, my mentor, and we caught up a bit as I met some of our mentor group and teammates. We each got a goodie bag filled with magazines, coupons, and sports supplement stuff (Gu, powdered drink mixes, etc). Then, the meeting began.
Background info on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and Team in Training, a lot of introductions (to the coaches, captains, mentors, honorees, and I'm forgetting some...), then a personal story from a mother about her 6 1/2 year old daughter's bout with leukemia ~5 years ago that had the audience in tears (we laughed, we cried...). The daughter, up on the stage, just playing with a toy and watching the audience, looked happy and healthy! Then we broke up into our respective teams and got our official workout schedule.
Whew, I'm gonna be busy.
There were some more rah-rahs and a lot of applause, and then on to the fundraiser fair, where we could sign up for info about how to raise money.
My big one, I think, will be a fundraiser at a local bar where I host a raffle with items donated from local restaurants and shops. Hopefully that will push me over the top, but it will be a lot of work to get up and running.
Tonight is our first coached workout on the track. Have I mentioned that I am NOT a runner? Should be interesting. Hopefully I won't puke... :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment