Monday, November 16, 2009

Getting in Shape

Just got back from another water polo workout. There weren't many women there tonight so there was no scrimmage, which was fine with me - that means more swimming! I felt like crap before practice - overly tired from the weekend following Great Big Sea around northern California (go look up Great Big Sea and listen to them) and working today... But I felt fantastic once in the water, and somewhat shockingly was one of the fastest ones in the pool. So I can beat just about everyone down the pool but then have no idea what to do with the ball once I get there. Hm.

I skipped out of work a bit early to begin collecting donations for a raffle - and was shocked at how nice everyone was! I only went to three places - started small to protect my fragile ego - but am encouraged at the positive responses I got. I officially have my first donation in-hand and am pretty excited about the other two places I visited - they seemed interested but had to give my info to the managers, who were not there when I stopped by. I might try to hit a couple of places every day instead of doing one huge day of soliciting. That way I can keep better track of who I speak with and who I have to follow up with.

This is fun - it's like a big project and is certainly keeping me busy!

Tomorrow night I got sucked into going to a track workout with a co-worker. Now, those who know me know that I am no runner. Like not even close. When in shape I run 12-minute miles. I have never been to a coached track workout (the first Team in Training one notwithstanding as that was a scavenger hunt). When I run, there is a lot of shuffling. Also, I really don't like running with people, as it seems to emphasize how slow and out-of-breath  I am. They say you should be able to run and have a conversation at the same time, but I never understood that. When I run, there Is No Talking. Mostly because I am breathing and that's about all I can handle. It's not cute.

So, tomorrow night I run with a group of women who are Runners. One of them has taken it upon herself to informally run a group workout for these ladies. I am tagging along with my co-worker, who is also a Runner. She promises it'll be casual, I'll be fine, blah blah blah, but for some reason I am envisioning me puking in the bushes halfway through the workout.

I'll keep you posted. If you don't hear anything from me, send help to the middle school on King Street in Santa Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment