Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Actually running!

Yesterday I went for a mid-day run and actually ran it! The trails above UCSC are gorgeous - fire roads and single track through redwood forest, with rumors of mountain lions (never seen one), and lots of deer and coyotes (seen both, lots). I ran "to the water tanks," an uphill fire road that's mostly shaded that joins up with two other fire roads at three large water tanks that look like graffittied (sp?) barrels on their sides. It's an out-and-back route that ends up being between 2 and 3 miles round trip, but the first half is almost entirely uphill. I maintained the "running" tempo the entire time, although sometimes it felt more like shuffling, and the downhill was awesome. I used these trails almost exclusively to train for a half marathon I ran in Death Valley in 2007 (winter, don't worry), and was wonderfully prepared, I think because it's so hilly out there.

The only problem with midday runs at work? Putting on the spandex and walking through the building.

Not cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment