I have no idea why this workout is named the "Ride-N-Tie," but there you go. We were partnered with another person about our height, and shared a mountain bike. One team member began running while the other began riding, eventually leaving the bike at the side of the trail for the runner to come upon and pick up and start riding while team member number 1 runs. We leapfrog like that for three 2.2-mile loops for a total of 6.6 miles - not too bad! There is a lot more running than you might think, and I purposely kept my bike rides short so I could do more running since that's where I need the most help. Coach Keith was riding next to me for a while as I ran, giving me pointers and telling me to step it up and get some intervals in there. I mentioned my issues with heart rate - that as soon as I start running it's through the rood - and he said he used to be the same way (and he's a swimmer first and foremost so understands my issues with running!) but that after ~5 years (5 years? Really?) he's gotten better so now when he jogs his HR is in the 130's. It gives me hope. Long term hope, but hope nonetheless.
Anyway, my partner and I completed three laps in good time, although I forgot to start my watch so I don't have an actual time, but I did feel strong and felt like I was running faster than I usually do. Actually, I was a little amazed - I tried running "harder" (which probably doesn't look like much, but feels like a lot to me) and was able to hold that pace for much longer than I thought I could. Progress is good.
It's been wet outside, and we were on fire roads, and the roads were muddy. I came home covered - mud on my face, on my legs, my pants were filthy, it was great!
Now, I'm showered and wearing fleece and considering a nap... :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment