Last year I posted a similar theme. Last year, while running, I looked down and my gum, which I chew to avoid dry mouth, flew out of my mouth and promptly froze on the track. You would think I'd learned my lesson, but nooooo, I still try to be extra-advanced on the track and chew gum and run.
I also couldn't help but notice that there are huge signs at the track specifically prohibiting gum chewing. I wonder if that was because of me.
Anyway, we opened with some drills - 400 or 500 meters worth - including butt kicks, fast feet, building to a sprint, lunges, and side-steps. Then it was a ten-minute warm-up, of which I only did ~8:30 (and three laps) because our next run was two times miles. Oh, my favorite. Coach Keith was there, and I've asked him for some extra help getting me under 3 hours this year, so I was especially conscious of my pace. And kind of embarrassed because I'm so damn slow.
I felt pretty strong, and for the first few laps ran a good pace. I wasn't looking at my watch because I didn't want to get taken out of the moment and concentrate too hard on what lap I was on; I was trying to concentrate on my pace and pushing myself just a bit harder than I usually run. I mean really, it was only two miles, right?
About two laps in I started pushing a bit harder, and - now remember I am chewing gum - and I'm working on relaxing my shoulders and keeping my head up (apparently it's a more efficient way to run), and I take a big breath in...
... and my gum gets stuck in my throat.
I kept running, feeling rather calm (realizing I could still breathe helped), but noticing that the gum was pretty well lodged. I figured the worst case scenario was that it shifted and went down the wrong pipe, at which point I stop one of the thousand other runners out there and have them give me the heimlich, but as it turned out I took one big breath, swallowed, and the gum went right down. Whew. Of course, then I felt ill, but that might have been the big bowl of cereal I ate about an hour before the workout. I was hungry, so what?!
At mile 1 I hit the lap button on my watch, but didn't look at it as I didn't want to get discouraged or excited, I just wanted to keep running and finish strong.
Keith yelled at me - "Go Megan! Make it hurt!" Which seemed a bit unnecessary as I felt like I might die at any moment, but I appreciate the thought. Also, it helps to know I'm being watched - I certainly picked up my pace when I was running in front of the coaches!
My last lap was strong - there was a woman who passed me and I made it my personal mission in life to keep up with her and pass her at the end. I think she could hear me sticking with her, because she kept picking up her pace as I would get closer, but with about 1/8 of a lap left I turned it on and sprinted to the finish and passed her. Victory! (Every little thing helps.)
My total time: 20:24! I checked my watch - mile 1 was a 10:07 and mile two was a 10:17 mile. I am rather impressed with myself, even though I had to spend a good amount of time bent over nearly puking and catching my breath.
Tonight's workout gave me hope that I might actually break three hours this year - if I keep it up hopefully I'll get there! Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment