Wednesday, December 22, 2010

4000 Meters, Baby!

Tonight was a 90-minute long course (50 meter lane set-up instead of 25 yards) all-you-can-swim swim. A swim buffet, if you will.

I hopped in, first one in the pool, which I just love - the whole pool in front of you and you're the only one making waves - it's awesome. The 50-meter set-up makes keeping track of distance so much easier for me, as I get to count in 100's instead of by 50's. For some reason I can actually remember where I am in the set when it's long course and we're going distance.

Anyway, I got a strong start, finished the first 1500 meters (Lavaman race distance, the Olympic tri distance) feeling pretty strong, then cranked out the next 500 no problem. My arms started to get a little tired and I could feel my form falling apart around, so instead of focusing on pace I focused on trying to keep my form together. It was still hard.

I paused at 3000 meters to grab some water, then counted out my next 10 x 100 meters, and was so thankful to finish. I was tired, my legs were starting to cramp (weird), and I was hungry - the hungry part is scary since after workouts I'm usually not interested in food right away.

And in fact, after I got home and showered and put on warm clothes, I turned into the crazy hungry person who hates everybody. When I came home with my burrito and Rob's mahi mahi tacos I had to tell him to not talk to me until my blood sugar was properly elevated. For his own safety.

Now I'm fine - we've opened the first round of Christmas gifts, are packing the car, and I'm trying to figure out how early I can go to bed and still be considered a grown up...

No comments:

Post a Comment