Just got back from a 4-ish miler on the trails above SC. I didn't want to go (sensing a theme, are we?) but of course, once out there I felt fantastic! Very bouncy, the uphills didn't make me shuffle, my strides felt longer... My upper left hamstring still hurt a bit so when I got back to lab I took a block of our "packing ice" that we keep in the freezer and sat on it for 20 minutes. That was pleasant.
I love those trails! It was gray and stormy, and the heavy cloud cover along with the huge redwood trees made for a dark run - but it made my running-induced hallucinations even more fun! Allow me to explain.
When I run those trails, the trees and rocks form these funny shapes from afar - my eyes pretty much stay on the trail in front of me so I don't trip (I have almost eaten in a bunch of times on those trails and have friends who've come back bloodied from falling), so in my peripheral vision I'll see movement that turns out to be a simple perspective change, or a tree-stump that I swear looks like a huge (like dog-sized) frog, or snakes on the trail... It's actually kind of fun. I use the "frog stump" as a marker - I know when I hit it on the way up I've run the first unpleasant uphill, and on the way down I know I'm almost home.
It started to rain on me with about a mile left, which was quite pleasant, and I'm still sitting in lab (scanning data and updating this) in my workout gear. I'd better get a move on if I want to beat the traffic/rain-induced accidents on the 17!
No comments:
Post a Comment