Tonight was a track workout. Not many people showed up, and who can blame them? It was cold and rainy, the track was wet, it was dark. Just kind of miserable overall.
However, before the workout, we had two "honorees" (people who have or have survived one of the blood cancers) speak about their experiences with TNT and LLS, and both benefited from a drug that was discovered and developed through an LLS grant, and both are now completely in remission. We are doing good work, and that was motivating.
Another however, maybe TNT could schedule these for nights when it's not raining, so we're not standing in it for 20 minutes before the run starts. Just saying.
The workout was simple: run one lap, do a set of exercises, run one lap, do a different set of exercises, go for 50 minutes or until you fall over. For example, after lap one we did 20 lunges. After lap two we did 10 push-ups (10 guy-push-ups is REALLY hard, by the way). After lap three we did the plank for 30 seconds (holding a push-up position, works your shoulders and abs). After lap four we did 20 sumo squats (imagine the start of a sumo wrestling match. That was us on the field. Yeah, we looked really cool.). After lap five we did 10 Toyota jumps (imagine the old Toyota commericals where you squat down and then jump as high as you can over and over. It hurt!). It was a really, really good workout, and they busted out an iPod and speakers so we were rocking out at the end of it. Of course, the whole point was to work on pacing and I forgot to wear my watch. Actually I had a day of forgetful - my wallet is at work, so I have no ID, no money, no credit cards, and I had to scrounge quarters to pay for gas. And I left my phone at home. Idiot.
Anyway, I squeezed in 14 laps, or 3.5 miles, in the 50-ish minutes. Added to my 3/4 mile warm-up and that's a whopping 4.25 miles of what for me was pretty hard running. I think it probably looked like shuffling, but it felt like hard running. My legs tell me it was hard running.
Speaking of my legs.
The back of my left leg hurts. Kind of hamstringy but way at the top. I've been stretching the hell out of it before these runs, and it doesn't hurt in the pool or on the bike, or on runs that come after the bike. I wonder if I have a high hamstring strain and I haven't been properly warming up? Of course, if I do have a high hamstring strain that means no working out, and that's just not going to work with my schedule. I know, I know - I'm a bad athlete ("athlete" used loosely) - but all this work! All this training! I can't stop now! I'll stop when I hit the finish line!
(Actually it's not that bad, it's just a little twinge but it's starting to piss me off. Suggested treatment for high hamstring strains involve icing the area - which would involve, no joke, sitting on a bag of frozen peas. They're supposed to be malleable and, well, cold.)
And that brings me to my most interesting injuries for the season.
I'd forgotten that in swimming the lane line is always to your right, as we swim what's called circle-pattern. Essentially it's like driving - you swim on the right side of the lane at all times. This puts your right arm next to the big, chunky, hard plastic lane line for the duration of the workout.
Apparently, while I am a strong enough swimmer, I can't seem to keep my right hand and arm off the damn lane line. I've whacked that thing with my wrist on my forward stroke so many times I have a huge bruise right where my thumb meets my wrist. Also, a bruise on the inside of my right elbow from accidentally hooking the lane line with my arm while swimming pretty hard. That was cute - it stopped me dead in my...tracks? Swim? Anyway, you get the idea. And the last bruise is on the inside of my upper right arm. That one's from hanging on the wall or lane line by hooking my arm over it. At one point, I was about to push off to lead a set, and I pulled the skin on my arm getting off the wall. It left an awesome mark and now every time I hang in between sets I can feel it getting worse.
Awesome. I don't get the real injuries, I get the supid annoying ones that I feel to embarrassed to even complain about. Maybe I'll post bruise pictures for you.
For now, I am going to bed. I am TIRED!
No comments:
Post a Comment