Monday, February 22, 2010

Bike, Swim, Water Polo?

Not exactly a tri, but close enough!

Saturday morning I skipped the open-water swim and went to water polo instead. I figured (a) open water in the San Francisco Bay (albeit close to shore) in February is really cold, and (b) the "workout" was going to be more of a practice swimming in open-water and less working out. So, water polo it was.

Turns out the best players were all in Las Vegas at a skills clinic (a little sad I missed that, it sounded really cool), so I was one of the stronger players in the pool. Frightening. But it was totally fun, and I got to play a position I usually don't play that required a whole heck of a lot of effort just to stay in one place, and a lot of swimming. It was indeed a great workout.

Then I took a nap.

Sunday it was raining and I wasn't feeling particularly motivated, so I set up my bike trainer in the garage and put on a movie (Die Hard, which I can sort of half-watch) and rode for 90 minutes (with a set of 10 x 2' hard, 2' easy) while Rob put together our kick-ass new set of matching corner desks in the office. No more dining room table for me! And we have a wireless printer... It's pretty awesome. But I digress.

Today I ran about 5 miles on the trails and felt pretty spectacular doing it - I felt almost like a runner. I don't know if I looked like one, but it felt really good. And tonight is a swim - so I finally squeezed in a double workout! Yay me! (Finally.)

I've been getting e-mail updates about the race, as I am officially registered at this point. They make me very nervous.

This weekend is a practice tri. Well, it's a real tri, but it's shorter than the Lavaman and a bunch of the TNT people are using it as a "dry" run (ha ha) for the Lavaman. I have no idea how to set up my transition area or what to wear (mostly the what to wear is stressing me out). Seriously. What do you wear?!?!

I have a tri top that I bought. I can't imagine swimming in it. I guess I had better start practicing. Also, those tri shorts. Dear god, is there anything more unflattering in the universe? And to SWIM in them?!

I can't bring myself to wear them in the pool. My swimmer's pride won't let me. I wear a regular speedo, not silly shorts and a tank.

I suppose it's a good sign that I am the most worried about my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment