Friday, November 19, 2010

It's Magic When it Happens

I ran almost 6 miles today.

I felt slow this morning, didn't want to get out of bed, didn't want to do much of anything, but as I have to teach a course this entire weekend (9 - 6 both days, ugh) I figured I'd better at least so something active today while I have the time. So running it was. I donned my running gear and felt slightly more motivated, but then I looked outside. Gray, cold, windy. Really, I wanted to go back to bed. I stood in the garage and stared at the treadmill for a few minutes, but just couldn't stomach the thought of getting on that "dreadmill" today. So, outside I went.

I had on my trusty GPS with HRM, and of course immediately my HR is through the roof. I wonder if that matters? Anyway, the batteries were also low, but as I didn't trust myself to get back outside if I went in to charge them I figured I'd risk the low batteries and run anyway. My legs felt pretty good - I think that day off yesterday treated me right. When I hit the halfway point from my last run, I just kept going. I felt pretty good, and I told myself that if I added distance I could walk parts of it. The stubborn part of me told that part of me to shut the heck up and keep running.

So I did.

I ran, and I ended up doing my favorite old ~5.8 mile loop that has a really big set of hills in the middle. The only place I walked (besides when I got stuck at the occasional stoplight) was at the top of the steepest hill, where I had to rest doubled over with my hands on my knees because I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. You know it's a good workout when...

The last 1/2 mile or so of the run was hard. I mean really hard. But I kept my legs moving and ended up running the entire distance. Of course, when I got into the garage I almost fell over, and had to sit on the treadmill for a few minutes to recover. When I looked at my GPS (I do love my statistics) I found that the batteries dies at some point during my run, so I don't have any record of the workout. Bummer.

Now, I'm back inside in a fuzzy robe, I've had my post-workout glass of milk and banana, I'm going to have Rubio's chicken tacos for lunch, and then I'm going to try and find a new pair of running shoes that I desperately need.

Shoe shopping for me is always an adventure. Have I mentioned I have freakishly wide, very short feet? And an extra toe? Should be fun. My last pair I special-ordered off the internet to get the right width...

No comments:

Post a Comment