Monday, April 26, 2010

The Worst Massage Ever

Saturday morning Rob and I were up early to ride the motorcycle down to Monterey to help celebrate his friend's 40th birthday. I had a deep tissue massage scheduled for 2:30PM, and I arrived at the spa an hour early to avail myself of it's numerous advertised amenities. The facility was lovely - sauna and steam room, large lockers, plush robes, big mirrored areas for getting ready, lots of goodies lying around. I spent some time in the sauna to loosen up my sore muscles. Of course, once you've been to a Burke-Williams (or the spa at the Somona Mission Inn - thanks Dad and Mary!) you're just spoiled. That place is amazing.

The massage itself was the most bizarre massage I've ever had in my life. I realize I am a total massage snob at this point, but I booked a deep tissue massage and that type of massage uses very specific techniques and hard pressure.

My massage involved hardly any work at all on my back and most work was done on my legs. The majority of the backwork was done while I was lying on my back, which felt ineffective (also the pressure was too light, and I tried to communicate that to her but finally gave up). My favorite part was when she put her hands under my neck to hold my head to - at least this is what I assumed - stretch out and massage my neck. However, what ended up happening was that, once my head was in her hands, she just sat there. Like not moving. No stretching, no massage. Eventually her thumbs started twitching.

I think she fell asleep.

I tried to breathe loudly and she jumped back into action. Maybe she was aligning my chakras or something (<-- sarcasm), but I could swear she fell asleep.

The whole thing was weird. I know, I'm being overly picky, but it really was bizarre.

We did have an amazing dinner at Roy's (and I had my very own soufflé) and then drinks in the bar afterwards. Sunday we slept in and rode home and were pretty lazy for the rest of the day.

Now, I am at work and just finished my experiments for the day. I went for a ~5 mile run on the trails, the sun is out, people were saying hello, and it's finally warm. Tonight is water polo but I am re-thinking that. I want to cook a nice healthy dinner (after the gluttonous weekend veggies sound really good) tonight and clean the house.

I have to take my ring in to get re-sized (it's just a hair too big), but the jeweler told me it takes a few days and I really don't want to leave it for that long! Rob and I are starting to talk about going to look at possible venues for a Real Live Wedding, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment