I swam 2000 yards today and once I was warmed up I felt pretty good. As the weather's been nicer there have been lots more people in the pool, and today I shared a lane with a girl who was decked out in a full wetsuit and wearing large clear goggles. She was an intense swimmer, very focused, and just kept going and going and going. She wasn't flip-turning, and she was incorporating other strokes into her routine, but man did she make it look hard. And I noticed that she didn't use her legs at all. Like at all. Not one little flutter of a kick anywhere, no motion from the hips when she was trying to do butterfly. And when her hand would enter the water it would be hooked downward from the wrist. All in all a painfully inefficient swimmer and rather hard to watch without offering up my two cents (I didn't).
Anyway, I did a simple set today: 600 free, 2 x 300 free, 4 x 150 free, followed by a 200 mostly backstroke and breaststroke and done pretty slowly to warm down. The sun was out and the water was warm, and it made me nervous for the cold water that will be in Lake Berryessa on May 2nd when I participate in a sprint triathlon there.
I just reserved two campsites for that weekend, Saturday and Sunday nights, for me (and anyone else who wants to tag along) and another TNT woman and her friend who are also doing the race that day. We plan on lying in the sun and drinking beer and playing in the lake once we're done with the race on Sunday! It sounds heavenly. It's also the weekend after my job ends, so it will be a nice little celebration for me. Hopefully Rob will come but I doubt it - he's probably got some flying he wants to get in that weekend and I think his paparazzi days are over for the time being...
No comments:
Post a Comment