Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weddings

Most weddings that I've been involved in (my step-mother's and father's clearly notwithstanding) have been events where I feel I pay too much, too many times, for not enough fun or even (sometimes) enough food, wearing expensive dresses you will never wear again, uncomfortable shoes, bad make-up and worse hair. (Again, Dad and Mary notwithstanding - that wedding was spectactular and I wish I could do a repeat performance!)

My worst fear is subjecting multiple women to this terror. If there is an actual wedding, I will not have attendants. (This clearly does not include my sister, who insists - and rightly so - that she should stand up there with me. However, she will be the only one besides Rob standing up there with me.) So here's where I start to freak out - without the traditions of normal weddings, where do you go?

I know this: I was the location to be spectacular and would spend way extra on that. I need it to be near hotels that are convenient for other guests. I need it to be near outdoor activities, I don't want a time limit on amplified music, and I want people to be able to crash on-site if necessary.

I found a proprty on a river that has a main house, a bridal cabin, gorgeous grounds on the Truckee River, and no rules against late night amplified music or people staying overnight... They don't seem to have rules about who you can use as a caterer or what wine you can bring in - essentially you can rent the place yourself and then backfill with food and beverage providers. I am instantly in love with it and want to go look at it asap in case I want it.

Whew.

Then there's the whole idea of a reception. If we go with a theme, what theme? Or do we go hodgepodge? I thought of "This is going to be an interesting conversation," something Rob said to me on date number 1 and that's been pretty true for the past 2+ years. For example, leaving magnetic boards on each table under the centerpiece with a box or two of magnetic poetry for guests to compose for us. Throwing paper airplanes (made out of our programs?) instead of confetti (Rob so loves airplanes too so how cute would that be?!)... Stuff like that.

I have no idea. Mostly I have no idea how much all of this costs and how it will all be paid for. When Rob gets home from Florida I think we'll have a sit-down and talk wedding options (wedding versus eloping) and budget issues. I had no idea this would be stressful right off the bat! It's been ten days people! Aaaauugghh!

No comments:

Post a Comment