Sunday, December 6, 2009

The best laid plans...

Well, this workout week didn't exactly turn out the way I'd planned. I ended up running the trails (just under 5 miles) on Thursday, and took Friday off but mostly because we had a black tie event that evening and it just takes me forever to look put-together. Saturday morning was a "ride-and-tie" event for TNT, where we teamed up with a partner and showed up in costume (we were the Bathing Beauties, I in a robe and plastic shower cap over my bike helmet, my partner Christine in a towel - over her running clothes of course - and a cute pink polka dot shower cap over her helmet) and relayed around a 2.5-mile loop three times. Essentially one of us took off on the bike while the other one ran, and at some point we dumped the bikes along the trail, where our partner picked it up and rode for a spell, then they dumped the bike and partner number one picked it back up... After each loop you had to run up a hill and perform a task - a three-legged race while singing a nursery rhyme, for example. At the end, there were "prizes" for best costumes: ketchup and mustard won that one (they even had cardboard lids attached to their helmets). I found it really difficult - just as I was getting my running legs it'd be time to hop back on the bike! But it kept us interested and really, I ran and biked faster than I thought I could and although I thought we were one of the last groups, it turns out we were one of the first (but it's not a competition!)!

Today there's a bike ride at 10 that I am skipping because we're going to a Christmas tree farm to cut down a tree. We're bringing chairs and a camp stove and hot chocolate (and perhaps a nip of Peppermint Schnapps), and we're going with good friends and their two kids so it should be great fun. I got up early and ran 5.8 miles - here's my route and elevation (although it was only like 200 feet, there were some serious hills in there!):



I'm feeling pretty good with the running - at the end I felt really strong, and although I am improving I think I really just went from looking like I was having a heart attack and only being able to stare at the ground and shuffle to being able to hold my head up and actually get more than two words out at one time. But hey, it's progress.

I'm behind on the biking but my legs feel strong so I'm not as worried about that part. I lagged on swimming this week and am going to feel that tomorrow when I get in the water, but know that it'll come back quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment