Today I swam at the Campbell Community Center pool during their midday open lap swim. The other few times I've been there it wasn't too crowded to have only two people per lane, which means you split the lane and don't have to swim circle pattern or deal with the various speeds in your lane that can screw up your set (nor do you screw up anyone else's set).
I figured the mid-40-degree temperature would keep people away, but boy was I wrong! At one point we had four people sharing one lane, one guy trying to do a kick set, I was trying to do speed 50's, it was a disaster. I got almost through my set and then gave up and just went for total yards. What I was able to do looked like this:
400 warm up
100 IM
300 kick/drill/swim
5 x 50 @ 1:05
5 x 50 @ :55
5 x 50 @ 1:00
5 x 50 @ :50
5 x 50 @ :55
5 x 50 @ :45
That's where I gave up. There were too many people swimming and I was barely able to hold the 45s anyway, so I swam an extra 500 free and called it a day. Looks like I only got in 2800 yards instead of 3000, which sucks, but I did get a few speed 50s in there. Plus, the sun was out and the water was warm, so I can't complain all that much! Plus, who gets to swimming in the middle of the day?! Seriously!
I'd planned on going to the grocery store immediately following, but seemed to have forgotten to pack undergarments in my swim bag, so I had to swing home first. Oops.
My fundraising is abysmal! I am working on a big raffle that will involve (so far) one Keen computer bag and one two-night stay at a Fisherman's Wharf hotel in SF. Still waiting on other stuff to come in - just mailed the letters at the end of last week, so I'll give it until February or so to see what gets donated and then use it in the raffle. Hopefully I can make a big wad of cash with this one (and hopefully I get more donations!) to take some of my stress away... Fingers crossed. I might send out another batch of requests this week, who knows.
Tonight I'm headed to Whole Foods in Cupertino for a healthy cooking class. A bunch of us are enrolled in this crazy "Engine 2 Diet" thing that's being partially run/supported by Whole Foods, who are offering cooking classes and a 28-day program to jump start you. Essentially, the diet/lifestyle focuses on plant-based foods and eliminates almost all animal-based products. It's not vegan, but it does cut waaaay back on anything from an animal. We'll see how long I last - my downfall will be cheese, I guarantee it. At least there are a bunch of people enrolled, so the support network is strong. That will help.
Now, I have to go plan a meal that involves lots of leafy green things and some protein (probably meaning beans)...
No comments:
Post a Comment