Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Hardest Miles

I went to an "extra" TNT track workout today. There were three workouts to choose from - a 3-mile, a 4-mile, or a 5-mile run, broken up into 800-meter (two lap) sections with exercises in between (crunches, lunges, etc). The trick - and oh what a trick it was - was that instead of doing a ladder set where we increase our distance (so a 200, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, and back down), the "ladder" was an increase/decrease in intensity. I've been running over 5 miles pretty comfortably, albeit not quickly, so I figured I'd do the 4-mile workout. However, after finishing the first two 800s I knew there was no way I would be able to finish a 4-mile workout at a faster pace. I'm not used to actively pacing my runs, and certainly not used to running a half-mile at a faster-than-normal pace.

The first 800 was at a pace that was comfortable to talk at (ha), or a slow jog. Slow jog is the usual for me, and I wasn't sure how I would increase my speed and maintain it. The second 800 (after some core-strengthening activity I am forgetting at the moment) was five to ten seconds faster than the first - at a pace that made talking difficult but not impossible. (Personally I find talking while running impossible at all times, but whatever.) The third 800 (after some crunches) was as fast as you could go. Then, thankfully, a 30-second rest (I may have extended this by another 30 seconds...) before jumping right into another 800 as fast as you could go. Then lunges and another 800 a bit slower, more core work and thankfully the last 800 at the casual jog pace.

I figured out that if I treat running like swimming I can actually get a real pace out of myself. I tried to lengthen my short little stride and to slow down my legs, so instead of frantically spinning my legs and taking short steps I was trying to take longer, slower strides. And believe it or not, it worked! My pace on the first 800 was about 5:30 (an 11-minute mile), the second was 5:03, and the third was 4:45! That's a 9-minute-30-second mile! Then, of course, I couldn't keep that pace up, and ended with something like a 5:10, a 5:20, and a 5:35, but there was actual pacing going on.

Now, my legs feel like they are going to fall off. Seriously, they hurt. They hurt badly. I'm afraid to go to bed and be inactive for the evening because I know when I get up tomorrow they'll be screaming at me.

8 weeks and counting! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment