First, I plan to send thank you notes at the end of this whole drama, once I have a finishing time and a total amount raised and some good stories to add to make the notes a bit more personal and significant. Until then, let this be a temporary thank you to everyone who's supported me - I haven't forgotten you, I promise!
As for the training - it's really been up and down. The first ~6 weeks of this new job were really a transition, and I gave myself a pass on quite a few of the workouts. I also transitioned my diet pretty drastically, which, in hindsight, might not have been the best idea as it was another adjustment period - and while training... Well, needless to say there were a few dropped workouts and a few workouts where I dropped!
However, I have now officially survived the season and we are in our taper, which is spectacular. The training season peaks with a practice triathlon two weeks before the real deal, which this year was this past Saturday. This past Saturday it was 45 degrees and pouring down rain. The swim was the warmest part, I think I was mildly hypothermic after the bike, and my feet were so numb I could hardly walk. I was soaked through to the skin, my bike shoes are *still* wet and I am worried they won't ever dry, and I couldn't stop shivering. I got off the bike, packed up my things, and got into my car where I stripped off my soaking wet shoes and socks and just sat with the heater on full blast until I could feel my fingers and toes again. When I got home, wearing soaking wet tri shorts and a fleece, I made in the front door and just stood there shivering for a second. Rob took one look at me and went into the bathroom to get the hot water going. Heaven! I spent way too long in there.
Somewhat shockingly, my swimming is kicking ass. I'm holding 1:13 100 yard swims (down ~2 seconds from about two weeks ago), which for me is pretty good. That, of course, is not the pace I would hold during the race, but I'm pretty happy with that performance. My run is still pretty crappy, although I did manage to run a 10K last weekend in my fastest time ever while hungover and dehdrated, and after I realised I'd shown up with my pants on backwards. I had a friend shield me with her windbreaker while I stripped down and changed them around the right way. I was rather proud.
I have no idea how I'll do this year. I started the season really wanting to go under 3 hours, but that was when I was unemployed and had lots of time. At this point, I know I'll finish, and I am trying desperately not to care too much about the time, as I don't want to be sad when I cross the finish line because of how long it takes me. I think I should just be happy to finish at all - this event is no joke!
But now, I get to enjoy the taper - less intense workouts that keep us in shape but don't tire us out so we're well-rested for race day. I'm petrified I'm going to eat myself out of my wedding dress - my taper history is that I am ravenous!
Now, I have to head off to bed - my schedule is very regimented and if I'm not in bed before 11 the whole next day I'm just destroyed... More later!
No comments:
Post a Comment