...crosswalks are not safe.
Last month I got hit by a car while in a crosswalk. Today I went running (after a CrossFit workout that involved squats with 115 pounds on my back - suffice it to say it was more shuffling than running), and twice I was almost hit by cars while in a crosswalk.
You have got to be kidding me.
The first time, while running along a slightly major street I was crossing - in the crosswalk - a minor street, and a car made a hard and fast left turn from the major street (going my direction) and almost hit me. He had to slam on his brakes and I hopped out the way, fast. Then I shouted at him. He would have hit the same spot as the other guy.
The second time, heading the same direction but at a more major crossing, someone was turning right from my left in front of me. He had a very red light, I had a green light and the little green guy telling me to walk, and as I stepped into the intersection to cross this guy came up and pulled completely through the crosswalk before stopping. He wasn't even looking my direction, he was checking traffic coming from the other direction. I smacked the trunk of his car and shouted at him too. He looked shocked and raised his hand in apology but if I hadn't seen him coming and waited he would have smacked right into me. At least it would have been the other hip.
So, today we learned that crosswalks are not safe, and people are idiots.
My workouts were great though - CrossFit this morning was awesome and although it didn't feel too hard at the time I am feeling it now (and clearly I was weak as running was extremely difficult). The workout was as follows:
For Strength:
3 x 3 hanging snatch (I used 65 pounds) with 3 minutes rest between
Metabolic Conditioning:
3 rounds of As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 5 minutes with 5 minutes rest between sets:
3 back squats (squats with a weighted bar on your back, I used 115 pounds)
4 pull-ups (I did them "kipping," which is a modified version for those of us who can't do real pullups)
5 hand-stand push ups (I modified by resting my knees on a box)
First round I got through three plus the pull-ups
Second round I got through 4 plus the squats
Third round I got through 5! My arms feel like they might fall off now and my hands nearly ripped on the bar (I need to start taping them), but I'm excited about the pull-ups! And the squat weight, that was pretty good for me!
Hi M.
ReplyDeleteI am thrilled to find your blog as I seem to have lost all my bookmarks out of my browser. Doh!
Hope all is good with you.
Shuman.